1. How was the fund developed?
SEIU Local 668’s Statewide Executive Board (SWEB) voted to create the Fund in a July meeting. The purpose of the Fund is to assist members who are experiencing economic hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. How is the fund sustained?
The fund will be sustained by donations from individual members, committees, and chapters
3. Who is eligible for the fund?
Any SEIU Local 668 member in good standing is eligible or may contribute to the fund. You can become a member of our union by filling out an application here.
4. Why was the hardship fund created?
Many SEIU members across the state experienced economic hardships due to COVID-19. The Fund was created to assist SEIU Local members who experience financial hardship due to COVID-19.
5. Who is eligible for the fund?
Members experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as described in the Fund documents passed by SWEB. You can read the documents here. Financial hardship is defined as:
a. Furloughed from their bargaining unit position;
b. Loss of hours in their bargaining unit position;
c. Loss of leave or income from their bargaining unit position, due to quarantine.
6. How much financial support is available to members?
Members can receive a one-time donation of $100. In the unfortunate circumstance where a member passes away due to COVID-19, the family of the deceased member may receive a one-time donation of $500.
7. How will I receive funds if I’m eligible?
Donations for members or family members will be disbursed on a debit style gift card.
8. Who reviews applications and determines eligibility for a financial donation?
SEIU Local 668 staff review the applications and approve them based on the qualifications described in the Fund document. If there is an application that the staff is unsure about, they may ask for additional documentation from an applicant.
9. How are applications prioritized?
Applications will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis. In the event a member is experiencing an economic emergency, that application will be prioritized.
10. I work for an employer, like the Commonwealth, that gave me extra leave when I was sick with COVID-19. I only used that leave while I was recovering from the virus. Am I eligible for a payment from the Fund?
No. If a benefit at work was used to mitigate financial and/or leave losses specifically in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, you are not eligible. For example, if your employer provides ten days of extra leave for you to recover from a COVID-19 diagnosis and you miss ten days or less, utilizing this leave, you are not eligible. If you miss 11 days or more and need to rely on other forms of leave (sick, annual, leave without pay, etc.), you would be eligible for a payment from the Fund.
11. I am an SEIU Local 668 member still working at my bargaining unit position but my spouse lost their job. Would I be eligible for a donation?
No, the economic loss must be directly related to the member and their bargaining unit position.
If you have additional questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org