Description of the Position
The Servicing Staff Director is a statewide position that is responsible for coordinating the activities of Business Agents, who provide direct servicing to the Stewards and Members of the Local. This is a professional, administrative, management position. The Servicing Staff Director works under the direct supervision of the Chief of Staff. The Servicing Staff Director must be knowledgeable in areas of labor law, both Pennsylvania and Federal; labor board policy; employee rights under law; general labor agreement administration; contract negotiations; general organizing skills; Local and International constitutions; general Labor Movement issues and procedures; the political process as it relates to both Members and the Labor Movement; and general problem solving skills.
The Servicing Staff Director must have good analytical abilities, writing skills, and be articulate as a spokesperson for the Union. The Servicing Staff Director is a statewide position and the successful candidate is expected to work in the field, and thus must have a car or access to a car, adequate liability insurance, and a valid Pennsylvania Drivers License. This field work will require the direct supervision, training, and support of staff located across Pennsylvania.
Examples of Work:
- Primary resource for Business Agents with questions concerning contract interpretation, negotiations, member queries, policy issues of the Local, Labor Law including Labor Board processes, grievances, arbitrations. Makes referrals as necessary.
- Coordinates and provides direct training to newly hired Business Agents in the areas of labor law, contract interpretation, arbitrations, unfair labor practice hearings and employee rights under the law.
- Plans, develops, and trains staff and implements special projects at the direction of the Chief of Staff.
- Assists Business Agents in planning training programs for Stewards and Members of the Local.
- Reviews time sheets for Business Agents under their supervision to ensure compliance with both the policies of the Local and Federal reporting laws.
- Approves vacation, sick leave, and personal leave requests from Business Agents under their supervision.
- Directly assists Business Agents in performing their functions during periods of leave, and during periods of excessive work.
- Ensures compliance by Business Agents of policies of the Local.
- Holds regular Staff meetings for Business Agents.
- Coordinates the completion by Business Agents of Local unit negotiations budgets as part of the annual budgeting process for the Local.
- Performs other duties as required to support the Local, its staff and Members.
- Handles labor arbitrations, including writing legal briefs, and contract negotiations, either working with Business Agents or independently when necessary.
- Responds to member phone calls and advises Business Agents, takes and responds to phone messages, responds to email and correspondence.
- Attends weekly management team meetings, Statewide Executive Board meetings, staff meetings and other ad hoc meetings.
- Attends member meetings at worksites and other locations.
- Travels to offices and worksites of the Business Agents in order to assist, coordinate and train Business Agents.
- Completes annual evaluations of their assigned Business Agents.