On Thursday May 4th, House Republicans voted to destroy the lives of millions of hardworking Americans by gutting Medicaid, ripping away their healthcare and eliminating millions of jobs to pay for tax breaks for the rich.
The bill takes healthcare away from 24 million people, raises premiums 20 percent and gifts the wealthiest with an enormous tax cut. It gets worse from there:
- The bill lets insurers charge 5 times more for people over 50, what the AARP calls an “age tax.”
- It eliminates guaranteed protections for people with pre-existing conditions
- And the it puts the health of 1 in 5 Americans who count on Medicaid, including seniors, children and people with disabilities, in grave danger.
SEIU, our allies and healthcare advocates, including AARP, Planned Parenthood, Move On, Indivisible have flooded House members with the voices of ordinary working people, and we have generated over 15,000 calls in the last 48 hours alone.
While House Republicans have turned their backs on working people, we have united and ignited more voices in opposition day by day and week by week. This is a painful day for those of us who fight for social and economic justice — but the worse this administration’s policies become, the stronger we grow.
And our fight for quality, affordable healthcare for all is far from over. After the election, many—including the President and Congressional leaders—predicted that this vote would come as early as Inauguration Day. Your work and that of your members helped spark a resistance movement that has changed the narrative on healthcare and reminded our communities of what is at stake. Republicans have an enormous majority in the House and it took them months to get here. Your incredible work, along with that of our partners, has created strength in the Senate and we will have another good chance to stop it there. Finally, those who voted for this disastrous bill will be held accountable in 2018.
As we head into this next week, there are three things we recommend for immediate actions:
- Participate in resistance actions to begin to hold members of Congress Accountable.
- Reach out to your Senators and make sure they are ready to fight with us.
- The toll-free line will be moved to the Senate on Monday, please plan to have members make calls.
Thank you for your hard work as we keep up the fight in the Senate.
Mary Kay Henry,