(HARRISBURG) Today, SEIU Local 668 released the following statement from President Steve Catanese in response to Governor Josh Shapiro’s Budget Address:
As a union representing over 19,000 workers across the Commonwealth, most of whom serve in the public sector, our members work with some of Pennsylvania’s most vulnerable individuals on a daily basis. Our members see the real cost of underfunding public services to the point that many Pennsylvania families struggle to make ends meet.
We applaud a number of Governor Shapiro’s key investments in essential services that have suffered from stagnant funding over the years:
- Area Agencies on Aging services,
- Child and Dependent Care Reimbursement and Tax Credit,
- Intellectual Disabilities and Autism support services,
- Workforce Development Programs to build family-sustaining union jobs,
- Youth Development Institutions and Forestry Camps,
- Election Security and Voter Integrity Initiatives,
- Funding and Mental Health Support for Corrections Officers and Staff.
We wholly support a budget that ensures Pennsylvania’s working families have the supportive public services they deserve. We look forward to working with the Governor’s Administration and key stakeholders to implement these and other essential investments in public services for the benefit of our Commonwealth.